Sunday 4 September 2022

Moving On

 The Triumph Bonneville's gone, and the Maeving's been ordered. I'm expecting delivery in November, so it won't get a lot of use initially based on customary autumn and winter weather. However, when it is used it'll need cleaning at some point, like they all do, which reminds me of a couple of ideas for chemical-free cleaning.

Firstly, black plastic and rubber trim on cars, motorcycles and pushbikes goes grey over time. Traditionally a product like back-to-black is bought and used, which restores the colour, at least for a time.  In my experience it can also leave you with black fingers, which is difficult to get rid of. An alternative is to use something containing natural oils. It's cheaper, kinder to the environment, and much better for your fingers! Believe it or not, smooth peanut butter can be rubbed into greying trim, then buffed up, and restores the colour nicely. Smells nice in warm sun as well!

Alternatively I've also used cooking oil. I found a drop of olive oil in a bottle in the kitchen cupboard and found that also did the job, and with much less effort. Neither of these last forever so will need redoing from time to time, but give good results for little cost or effort, and don't harm the environment.

The second tip is more for older vehicles, where chrome plating may have started to pit and rust. Commonly some form of rust remover is brushed on and rinsed off. This chemically reduces the oxidation and restores the finish. This stuff often comes with a warning to rinse any splashes off your skin immediately, which gives some idea of the chemical strength. Strength and effectiveness often increases in line with the price being paid.

An alternative, which is kinder to your wallet, skin and the planet is to use ordinary kitchen foil. Scrunch it up, wet in in clean water, and rub it over the affected area. I didn't believe it either until I tried it, but it works and the wet foil can go in the recycling bin afterwards. No chemical waste and no landfill. I believe vinegar can be used instead of water for stubborn areas, but I haven't yet tried it myself. If anybody does, please leave a comment to let us know how it works.

Same with any other low cost and environmentally friendly cleaning hacks - please feel free to share any in the comments.

On a different note, one of my bikes went into the garage this week with a starting problem. It's a 1968 Metisse:


No it's not electric, and in fact it doesn't even have a battery. No lithium was harmed in it's construction! It's old-school, a copy of Steve McQueen's Desert Racer, so starts with a kickstart and the lights work when the engine's running. It has no unnecessary weight in the form of a battery, exhaust baffles, starter motor, catalytic converter, ABS, indicators or unnecessary bodywork, and the engine is over 50 years old and still going strong. It's at the other end of the evolutionary scale to the electric bike I've ordered, but each tends toward sustainability in its own way and I'll ride them both.

Finally, I became a grandad a few days ago. My gorgeous granddaughter will be part of a generation that benefits from us reducing and reversing damage done to the planet, which drives home just how important even small things are in improving her future.

Thanks for reading.

Chris


No comments:

Post a Comment

We Want a Justice System

  The first picture is my bike as I prefer to remember it. Bought new, for what was a substantial outlay for me.  The second picture is from...