Thursday 20 October 2022

The Next Chapter


I'm currently in a position I wasn't expecting, and one which isn't particularly welcome at this stage in either my life or my career. 

Staring down the barrel of redundancy - with a payout that isn't life changing - I was reminded that support is available on a personal level. Redundancy isn't personal, although initially it can feel that way. The role is gone, not the person, but the fallout and impact hits real people and their lives. The balance sheet looks healthier, the wealthy avoid or are able to weather the storm, and real people pick up the pieces, struggle and try to start again.

I reached out on a networking site to say I was becoming available for work, and the first response I got - within minutes - was from an ex manager I've not seen or spoken to for years, who shared my post on her network with a supportive message. It was unexpected, though very welcome. Throughout the day I had other supportive messages and offers, all of which lifted me and demonstrated again why accountants can never take over the world.

I also came across an extract from Jamil Qureshi, variously described as a performance coach, entrepreneur, motivational speaker, and much more besides. I first became aware of him when he was guest speaker at an event I attended, and found what he said and the way he delivered it resonated with me. Anyway, judge for yourself here:

Maybe, like me, you'll be interested enough to see and hear more of him. He's a very engaging speaker.

The conclusion of this piece is a way I've always tried to work with my teams, and it should make you question whether your organisation has the same values, or whether the doors to the Ivory Tower are firmly shut and bolted against such radical thinking. Maybe all companies start off believing in their employees, but at some point they get to a size where staff aren't people, but resource, and therefore able to be bought and sold in the same way as any other commodity. Once you get there, and give the bean counters the keys to the castle, you're fucked.

Not too long ago I heard a CEO of a large mutual saying that mutuality meant that with no shareholders to answer to the business could take a longer term view, which was a huge advantage in business. He's probably right, although if it's not practiced we'll never know. Short term gains and boosts to the balance sheet don't only impress shareholders, they help support big back-slapping bonuses as well, so it can be difficult to totally do away with the standard commercial model of the wealthy getting richer if you're on the receiving end.

I understand the reasons there had to be a change to the operating model at work. Various events since the start of the pandemic meant things had to change, and in fairness to the company they'd held out longer than could have been expected. A number of employees had been paid for over two years for doing very little, although they're happy to forget that now things are changing. There are opportunities for a number of them within the business, and support for those who are looking elsewhere, whether by choice or not.

I've been invited to apply for my existing role, at a lower grade and in competition with peers. I've declined, pointing out the differences between what's being offered and what I actually do in my current role and grade. It's obvious there's going to be a hole there when someone else takes my place. They'll do brilliantly at the core role, but the extra I was tasked with and paid for will have to be picked up somewhere, which doesn't seem to have been considered. But in the short term it's saving the business money.

So I'll start another chapter. I'm sure I'll find something. Maybe I'll go into politics, where the normal rules don't apply. There seem to be regular vacancies, and lack of ability, experience or qualifications doesn't seem to bar you from earning a high salary with extensive perks. Backstabbing appears commonplace, and there's no great expectations that you'll do the right thing for colleagues or anyone else. Add in a bit of nepotism, and it's a great training ground for the world of commerce.

Or maybe I won't.




No comments:

Post a Comment

We Want a Justice System

  The first picture is my bike as I prefer to remember it. Bought new, for what was a substantial outlay for me.  The second picture is from...